More than half a century ago the York Glaziers Trust was formed, building on centuries of craftsmanship associated with York Minster, Britain's treasure-house of stained glass. The Trust is an independent charitable trust dedicated to the care of the Minster's windows and the preservation of historic stained glass nationwide - the vision of Eric Milner-White (1884-1963), Dean of York from 1941 until his death in 1963.
The Trust now employs an international team of 21 members of staff. As well as their original premises on Deangate, for the last decade the Trust has also operated a second workshop at Bedern Chapel, York, the former ancient home of the Minster's Vicars Choral since 1349. From 1998 to 2007 the Trust was involved in the conservation of York Minster's c.1414 St William window. Another particular highlight, from 2011 to early 2018, has been the conservation of the Great East Window (1405-08) by the glass-painter John Thornton, one of the most important and well-known stained glass craftsmen of the medieval period. From 2016, the Trust has also initiated a 20-year rolling programme of conservation and environmental protection in partnership with York Minster, beginning with the conservation of three of the Minster's world-famous fourteenth-century nave aisle windows.
|Areas of Expertise: